Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Math the Pinteresting Way

Reading and writing were always my favorite subjects in school. Well, that and history. But through teaching, I've really grown to love math. There are so many fun things you can do with math. I also think the way I was taught math is so different than how we are encouraged to teach math now. I didn't have a good understanding of numbers or why we did math the way we did. Now we are encouraged to teach for understanding and not just memorization. I went to a few trainings when I first started teaching that were Marilyn Burns teaching. It was through this that I began to understand things like pi and circumference. So today I'm linking up with Just Reed for her 10 Pin party all about Math.

1. This first pin is from Sunny Days in Second's TPT Store. It's beach bump. My kids absolutely love the game bump. It is a great way to practice addition facts. She has all kinds of themes at her TPT store.

2. With the adoption of the common core standards comes the adoption of the mathematical practice standards. I have been trained on them multiple times but I don't have them displayed in my room. I think it would help immensely to have these displayed. My friend Mary from Mrs. Lirette's Learning Detectives has some free posters in her TPT store. 

3. This next idea is something I definitely want to make one of my first math work stations this year. It works on number recognition, counting and fine motor. But the picture doesn't like to anything. I think the idea is pretty self explanatory. (If this is your picture, please let me know. I'd love to give credit.)

4. I love Maria from Kinder-Craze. She has great ideas and great products. This number decomposing activity will be a must for me and my kiddos next year. You can check it all out here at her blog Kinder-Craze. 

5.This is another idea from the great Maria at Kinder-Craze. It is all about solid shapes. Check out her post here. 

6.I love using picture books to teach. This pin leads to Love 2 Learn 2 day and her great list of books that go with different concepts. 

7. I have been working on trying to implement math workstations or tubs in my room for the past 2 years. I am still trying to get it worked out. This pin is a great blog post from my friend Mary again. Check out her post here.


8. Here are some more math workstation ideas. This time from Marsha at Differentiated Kindergarten. If you haven't checked her blog out you need to. She is phenomenal. These are some apple work station ideas.

9.I love scoot games and so do my kids. This is one of the scoot games I have free on my blog for adding 3 digit numbers. The kids loved the crazy cat graphics.

10. This last pin is another scoot game I made and use in my classroom. Paw Prints Addition scoot. I use it as a game and as flashcards. There are 3 different versions of the game depending on what strategy you are working on. 

There are 10 ideas and pins all about math. I hope you found something you could use. Be sure to head over to Just Reed and check out the rest of the party.
Just Reed!

By the way, make sure you are following me on facebook. I have a surprise coming up this week. Here's the link to my page, https://www.facebook.com/MsKerriAndHerKrazyKlass

No comments:

Post a Comment