Friday, June 21, 2013

Book Talk Thursday at the Beach

Chris and I have been on vacation this week. We are in North Carolina. I had never been to the beach in North Carolina but this is where Chris grew up going. It's beautiful and not that crowded which is really nice. This has been a view all week.
To me being at the beach means spending some quality time with my kindle. If you read this blog regularly, you know that I'm a voracious reader. I have read 6 books in the 5 days  we've been here. Pre kindle, I would have to have a bag just for the books I bring with me on a trip. Now I have a kindle full of books ready to read and access to more. So I thought I would link up with Reading Toward the Stars for her Book Talk Thursday party. (I know I'm blogging on vacation, but I woke up early and couldn't go back to sleep. So that's a good way to spend a few minutes.)
I'm going to share 2 different books I've read. The first is a young adult dystopian novel. Divergent.
I had bought this a while ago on my kindle when it was a daily deal but I just got around to reading it. My friend, Cassie was at the beach last week and she highly recommended it. The book starts out with the main character Beatrice going to take her tests to see what faction she should belong in. Her world is divided into 5 factions that value different virtues. The faction she currently belongs to is the one that values selflessness. Beatrice struggles with selflessness and when she takes her test her results are inconclusive. The story follows her decision of which faction to join and the effects that it has. I loved this book.Beatrice is a very likable and relatable character. I have found myself thinking about the characters and the factions since I finished the book earlier in the week. I think today I'm going to start the sequel, Insurgent. If you liked Hunger Games and Matched, you will like this book too.
The second book I wanted to share with you is the perfect summer read, The Heist by Janet Evanovich.

I am a huge Janet Evanovich fan. I love her Stephanie Plum books and most of the other ones she writes. They are a good easy read that is entertaining. This book just came out Tuesday and I had pre-ordered it. Another feature I love about my kindle. I can have books the day they came out and not have to leave my house. This book starts out with Kate O'Hare, an FBI agent, on the trail of a con man Nick Fox. She captures him eventually but he gets away. This book is funny, fun, and a great beach read.
So those are my recommendations this week, I would love to hear about what you are reading or your thoughts on these. Be sure to head over to Reading Towards the Stars and join the party.


1 comment:

  1. I looooooove Divergent! I'm on the second one in the series (Insurgent) and can't wait until the third one comes out later this year :)

    -Caitlyn
    Fourth Grade Lemonade

    ReplyDelete